The B&B Summer Scholars Program provides summer fellowships to selected Georgia State undergraduates to support their research efforts in faculty laboratories.
*This year, our summer cohort will engage in distance learning via interactive virtual training workshops centered on their professional development in our new program Going the Distance.
Researchers and program leaders here at Georgia State University are offering other Program Directors this curriculum for a virtual workshop series on professional development for undergraduate researchers in the biomedical and behavioral sciences. The effort is motivated by shared goals to maintain student progress toward independent research careers despite the COVID19 pandemic.
The program’s Leadership Team is powered by 75 combined years of education and training experience, with focus on recruitment and retention of students from underrepresented groups. And we are strengthened by nationally-recognized leaders serving on an External Advisory Board and providing video-content for the workshops.
Sample assignments and overviews are posted as PDFs here. New samples will be added daily through May 8. If you are a program director interested in this curriculum, use these samples to decide about jumping on board the workshop series.
Prospective B&B Scholars are required to:
- Have a 3.0 GPA or better.
- Be current GSU undergraduates in good standing.
- Can not be graduating before the program begins.
- Be already engaged in research with a B&B faculty member.
- Have a B&B faculty nomination.
- B&B Scholars will engage in weekly professional development workshops.
- The PI should submit the application for their students(s) for this program.
- Each summer scholarship will pay $10.42 per hour, and will require approximately 10 hours (compared to previous 20 hour weeks) of remote professional development work per week for 12 weeks (May 18 – August 7), which totals approximately ~$1250 over 12 weeks.
- Note that these 2020 scholarship awards are half the weekly hours and pay compared to prior years.
- They are offered with the same conditions as the University Scholars program and the additional provision that they would support undergraduate online professional development workshops.
- Scholars must be in a B&B faculty member's laboratory for work related to neuroscience and/or behavior (or must have been prior the shut-down).
- Students will have to log hours remotely.
- The aforementioned 10 hours/week are all professional development and not research related. If your undergrad is continuing to work remotely for your lab and would like to be paid in addition to the professional development portion of this program, please email Liz Weaver and we can attempt to work some of those hours into the program.
- The final capstone literature review will require students to complete a review of their lab's research area and will be due at the end of the summer. The PI will be the guidepost and mentor for this project. More details soon.
- Graduating seniors are not eligible.
Current B&B Scholars
- Scholars will engage in weekly professional development workshops.
- Scholars will complete a literature review by the end of the summer.
- Scholars will now use OneUSG CONNECT to log their time.
- Kenki Velenzona Cabahug (Forger) NEURO
- Ari McNeil (Forger) NEURO
- Kathryn Whitley (Parent) NEURO
- Adaugo Okpareke (Parent) NEURO
- Sydney Ross (Murphy) NEURO
- Malika Pandit (Murphy) NEURO
- Jade Christman (Petrulis) NEURO
- Kelsey Clark (Yang) KINESIOLOGY
- Myah Vogt (Beran) PSYCH
- Isbah Nasir (Carruth) NEURO
- Shivaanii Uma (Carruth) NEURO
- Savitha Narayanaswa (King) PSYCH
- Nitheyaa Shree (Mabb) NEURO
- Sara Correa (Derby) NEURO
- Jais Matta (Cox) NEURO
- Natoli Bora (Frantz) NEURO
- Doyal Datta (Frantz) NEURO
- Praful Gade (Anderson) PSYCH
- Caitlin Ray (Laures-Gore) COMMUNICATION SCI & DISORDERS
1. Karen Sharma (Parent Lab)
2. Caleb Truscott (Psychology Lab)
3. Anushka Parekh (Gennady Lab)
4. Alexus Jackson (Turner Lab)
5. Ratislav Krylov (Belykh Lab)
6. Courtney Keeler (King Lab)
7. Nitheyaa Shree (Pallas Lab)
8. William Bell (Murphy Lab)
9. Ricky Lindsey (Shilnikov Lab)
10. Matthew Rump (Derby Lab)
11. Carlos Ramirez-Morales (Yang Lab)
12. Nurul Ballanah Torbett (Yang Lab)
13. Selma Belkasim (Wilczynski Lab)
14. Jennifer Lees (Yeng Lab)
15. Aviva Gars (Forger Lab)
16. Jody Finch (Latzman Lab)
|Caleb Truscott||Sarah Brosnan Lab||Psychology|
|William Bell||Anne Murphy Lab||Neuroscience|
|Shruthi Polu||Robert Latzman Lab||Psychology|
|Reagan Sapp||David Washburn Lab||Psychology|
|Gabriella Norton||Jacqueline Sue Laures-Gore Lab||Education|
|Tanya Pinwale||Tricia King Lab||Psychology|
|Myah Vogt||Michael Beran Lab||Psychology|
|Benjamin Anthony||Kyle Frantz Lab||Neuroscience|
|Nitheyaa Shree||Sarah Pallas Lab||Neuroscience|
|Elara Ruszkowski||Nancy Forger Lab||Neuroscience|
|Siddharth Poyapakkam||Dan Cox Lab||Neuroscience|
|Anna Xiao||Manfred Schmidt & Charles Derby Lab||Neuroscience|
|Jennifer Lees||Feng Yeng Lab||Kinesiology|
|Abigail Vasquez||Nancy Forger Lab||Neuroscience|
|Dawn Jensen||Jessica Turner Lab||Psychology|
|Janavi Ramesh||Marise Parent Lab||Neuroscience|
|Sara Abdullah||Eyal Aharoni's Lab||Neuroscience|
|William Bell||Anne Murphy's Lab||Neuroscience|
|Brett Daniel||Kyle Frantz's Lab||Neuroscience|
|Lindsey Green||Robert Latzman's Lab||Psychology|
|Sarah Johnson||Gennady Cymbalyuk's Lab||Physics|
|Kendrick King||Jessica Turner's Lab||Neuroscience|
|Joshua Lott||Dan Cox's Lab||Neuroscience|
|Kali Malham||Kim Huhman's Lab||Neuroscience|
|Meira Robbins||Aras Petrulis' Lab||Neuroscience|
|Elara Ruszkowski||Nancy Forger's Lab||Neuroscience|
|James Scully||Andrey Shilnikov's Lab||Math & Stat|
|Grace Signiski||Geert de Vries' Lab||Neuroscience|
|Shea Sparks||Manfred Schmidt & Charles Derby's Lab||Neuroscience|
|Caleb Truscott||Sarah Brosnan's Lab||Psychology|
|Sophie Yount||Huanbiao Mo's Lab||Nutrition|
|Janavi Ramesh||Marise Parent's Lab||Neuroscience|
|Vivian Ruth Persons||Aras Petrulis’ Lab||Neuroscience|
|Amber Fouts||Eyal Aharoni’s Lab||Psychology|
|Darryl Burnet||Jessica Turner’s Lab||Psychology|
|Srilaxmi Kishor||Chuck Derby’s Lab||Neuroscience|
|Sukalia Miller||Walt Wilczynski’s Lab||Neuroscience|
|Amanda Shindelar||Tricia King’s Lab||Psychology|
|Julian Dunn||Geert de Vries’ Lab||Neuroscience|
|Kristen Oyler||Dominic Parrott’s Lab||Neuroscience|
|Nathan Hardcastle||Elliott Alber’s Lab||Neuroscience|
|Jenna Harris||Dan Cox’s Lab||Neuroscience|
|Mohammad Matthew Harb||Andrey Shilnikov’s Lab||Neuroscience|
|Andrew Jacobs||Nancy Forger’s Lab||Neuroscience|
|Nicolette Barnett||Marise Parent’s Lab||Psychology|
|Alyssa Bartlett||Dr. Anne Murphy||Neuroscience|
|Hansley Bobo||Dr. Dan Cox||Neuroscience|
|Taylor Montgomery||Dr. Nancy Forger||Neuroscience|
|Luis Ferrer Labarca||Dr. Raj Sunderraman||Computer Science|
|Eileen Persichetti||Dr. Jessica Turner||Psychology|
|Drake Knapper||Dr. Andrey Shilnikov||Neuroscience & Math|
|Kristy Yun||Dr. Mukesh Dhamala||Physics & Astronomy|
|Ryan Salby||Dr. Elliott Albers||Neuroscience|
|Mercedes Hodges||Dr. Aras Petrulis||Neuroscience|
|Alexandria White||Dr. Kyle Frantz||Neuroscience|
|Alexa Faulkner||Dr. Marise Parent||Neuroscience|
|Krishna Mehta||Dr. Geert de Vries||Neuroscience|
|Ashley Lauterbach||Dr. Chris Conway||Psychology|
|Kristin French||Dr. David Washburn||Psychology|
|Sierra Rackley||Dr. Dom Parrot||Psychology|
|Jordon Cook||Dr. Charles Derby Lab||Neuroscience|
|Michael Donahue||Dr. Laura Carruth Lab||Neuroscience|
|Lluvia Frias||Dr. Marise Parent Lab||Neuroscience|
|Preetham Ganupuru||Dr. Paul Katz Lab||Neuroscience|
|Kegan Isaak||Dr. Sarah Brosnan Lab||Psychology|
|Drake Engel Knapper||Dr. Andrey Shilnikov Lab||Neuroscience & Math|
|Anandhi Martin||Dr. Walt Wilczynski Lab||Neuroscience|
|Caitlin McCoyd||Dr. Nicole Vincent Lab||Philosophy|
|Megan Moore||Dr. Aras Petrulis Lab||Neuroscience|
|Ana Noriega||Dr. Andrey Shilnikov Lab||Neuroscience & Math|
|Krupa Prashant Patel||Dr. Gennady Cymbalyuk Lab||Neuroscience|
|Fardowsa Hassan Robow||Dr. Tim Bartness Lab||Biology|
|Elizabeth Sandy||Dr. Anne Murphy Lab||Neuroscience|
|Jessica Snellings||Dr. Jessica Turner Lab||Psychology|
|William Walker||Dr. Nancy Forger Lab||Neuroscience|
2014 Poster Symposium Winners:
- 1st Place: William Walker
Lab: Nancy Forger
“Role of Microglia in Programmed Death”
- Honorable Mention: Michael Donahue
Lab: Laura Carruth
“Effects of early developmental stress on global methylation in the zebra finch”